None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 21 on Mon Jul 23 2018, 03:29

My Computer Crashed

Go down

My Computer Crashed

Post by Windyredhead on Wed Dec 19 2018, 22:04

Hello Everyone,
Sorry I have been absent. I had problems with my computer a few months ago and did a dirty install of windows. It worked for a while but it finally crapped out so I had to break down and do a reformat. I'm still trying to get things up and running and find things. It took all day yesterday just to do all the windows updates. I thank goodness that I backed everything up. It is making it much easier to find things but I still have to reinstall all my programs and that is very time consuming. I have been trying to do this and put up my tree and start my wrapping as well. I figure I might as well make my self useful while waiting for things to upload. Hopefully I will get it all done in the next day or so.

Sorry I didn't post any tuts for this week but I obviously was not able to.
Windyredhead
Windyredhead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My Computer Crashed

Post by Joanne1947 on Thu Dec 20 2018, 10:50

Sorry to hear that, Windy, but welcome back, and hopefully you will be in full swing before long..

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Joanne1947
Joanne1947
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://robbies-retreat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hapyfaceEve70 on Fri Dec 21 2018, 17:00

Windy I am so sorry to read this. I hope you get things sorted out. I know this is no fun, happened to me a few years ago. I had to get a new computer.
Hugs Eve
hapyfaceEve70
hapyfaceEve70

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark on Fri Dec 28 2018, 06:35

Windy, what you (and anyone else for that matter) need is a system backup tool that can literally make a copy of your hard drive/s and partitions. When you have a problem you then just restore the image of Windows. It needs to be a good copy of course one that's had all the wrinkles out. There are several. I use Paragon Hard Disk Manager and also EaseUS Todo. The Paragon version I have doesn't work on Windows 10 and it was getting less reliable and time consuming so I switched to EaseUS. They do a free version that doesn't have the compression options but when I tried it out I found it pretty quick and easy to use. I since bought lifetime updates for a couple of the products they do. You do need a spare partition of hard drive, but you can split up the image into DVD size bites and burn them to DVD or BluRay. There are others: Acronis, O&O do one etc.

Mark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Windyredhead on Mon Dec 31 2018, 19:40

Mark
I do a complete system backup to a portable hard drive every month. But once my files get corrupted I'm backing up corrupted files. I also have 2 partitions on my computer. I keep all my data on one and my operating system and programs on the other. I keep the last 2 backups so at any given time I have 2 to choose from. It was my saving grace because I didn't lose any of my data or photos. But windows was a bust, which is why I did a reformat. I have had this particular laptop for about 6 years so I can't really complain. This was the first time I had to do anything like this.
Windyredhead
Windyredhead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark on Sun Jan 13 2019, 16:56

@Windyredhead

That's the challenge Windy.. you should have three different rotating (Grandfather, father & son) backups. You can do incremental backups but try and keep three copies of a backup on different drives. It's only when things go pear shape and you have the ability to restore things that you realise what a life saver it is. However, what was the cause of the corruption? If you make a duplicate of your hard drive and put that spare one somewhere safe you will always have a good copy. I have quite a few hard drives floating about.. well, okay they are not actually floating, but in a box. One has a copy of the dreaded Windows 10 that I will install soon experiment putting Linux along side it. Win10 doesn't play as nice as previous versions so I don't want to risk screwing that up even if it's not too much bother to revert. Once I do that I'll probably only go into Windows when I really really have to, Before I did the downgrade from Windows 7 I duplicated my hard drive so that I could still use 7 if I wanted to, And I use 7 for a load of different creative applications.. My point being is that if you make a duplicate of a known good drive, you always have something to fall back to even if future updated versions fail.

Mark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Windyredhead on Sun Jan 13 2019, 22:12

I do have 2 copies on two portable drives and it was my saving grace.
Once I did the reformat and updated everything the first thing I did was make a copy. Then I reinstalled all my programs and did another backup. I keep all my data on a separate drive on my computer so it was not affected.

I'm not sure what caused the corruption but I figure it was some sort of Trojan that came through the back door. I run a full system scan every month and a deep scan every 2 or 3 months so I'm not sure how it happened.

Thanks for the tips though.
Windyredhead
Windyredhead

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down